Disability Groups Gather in Washington, D.C. for a Common Purpose
“Let’s Elevate the Dialogue” Around Disability Employment in America
Today in our nation’s capital, the National Organization on Disability joins with a fifteen leading disability organizations from across the country to focus attention on the critical issue of employment for people with disabilities.
Sponsored by United States Senator Bob Casey (D-PA) and featuring special guests, NOD Chairman Tom Ridge and National Council on Disability Chairman Neil Romano, the gathering represents the third time these disability organizations have come together at the request of Gov. Ridge.
In April and October 2018, NOD convened these organizations in a “Disability Employment Roundtable.” The coalition collectively identified two policy priorities to work on together: (1) eliminating “14C” certificates, which allow employers to pay workers with disabilities sub-minimum wage; and (2) to bear down on enforcing the 503-rule change for federal contractors.
“When this coalition of disability organizations recently met with the U.S. Labor Secretary, he notably didn’t ask about political affiliations. He understands, as we do, that our issue cuts across party lines,” said NOD President Carol Glazer. “The most important social and economic issues all do. Employment is one of the most vexing challenges facing the disability community today. Gatherings like these elevate the dialogue and ensure policymakers have a better understanding of what needs to be done.”
Today at the U.S. Capitol, the coalition is briefing elected officials at a Congressional Reception sponsored by these nine coalition members, DiversityInc and The Hershey Company. The group anticipates reconvening twice more in 2019.
The sponsoring organizations are:
- American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)
- Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD)
- Autism Speaks
- Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
- National Center for Learning Disabilities
- National Council on Disability (NCD)
- National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS)
- National Federation of the Blind (NFB)
- National Organization on Disability (NOD)
- Ridge Policy Group
Additional coalition members include:
- The Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN)
- Judy Heumann
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD)
- National Council on Independent Living (NCIL)