Content Writer, Marketing & Communications, NOD
The National Organization on Disability (NOD) is a nonprofit organization that promotes the full participation of America’s 56 million people with disabilities in all aspects of life. NOD is a leader in helping corporate America transform their human capital policies, programs and practices to increase the hiring, engagement, development and retention of individuals with disabilities. While the quality of life for people with disabilities in this country has improved dramatically in the quarter of a century since the Americans with Disabilities Act, there is one critical exception: access to the workforce. The employment rate for working aged Americans with disabilities today is just 20%, virtually unchanged since the end of World War II.
Our work with our corporate partners is a critical part of achieving NOD’s mission by helping create the conditions where people with disabilities can succeed and thrive in the corporate world. We use what we learn through this work to raise awareness and ultimately change public opinion about the value of this untapped talent pool. Our services include our data-driven Disability Employment Tracker™, an assessment and benchmarking tool and a variety of advisory services designed to deliver solutions to meet our clients’ disability inclusion needs. Our Corporate Leadership Council brings employers together to learn from NOD experts and each other.
By changing practices of employers, building leading practices and market-shaping thought leadership, and establishing enduring relationships with the corporate world, we expand employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities across the U.S. and create impact on a broad scale.
NOD is seeking an individual with expertise in writing and editing on issues related to disability inclusion in the workforce. Must have experience in news, feature and business writing, as well as editing and proofreading, and be capable of producing high-quality work on a consistent basis. Exceptional grammar and command of AP Style required, along with ability to coordinate workflow of others in managing multiple deadlines. The individual would join a team of marketing and communications professionals, and must be able to work collaboratively as well as independently in meeting organizational goals.
- Research industry-related topics (combining online sources, interviews and studies)
- Write clear marketing copy to promote our products/services
- Write catchy and effective copy for digital ads, email, eblasts, social and website
- Write original thought pieces for different purposes such as op-eds, speeches, etc.
- Proofread and edit blog posts before publication
- Coordinate with marketing and design teams to illustrate articles
- Conduct simple keyword research and use SEO guidelines to increase web traffic
- Promote content on social media
- Identify customers’ needs and gaps in our content and recommend new topics
- Ensure all-around consistency (style, fonts, images and tone)
- Update website content as needed. Knowledge of website design will be an advantage.
- Develop content for newsletter (original and curated), design and send out eblasts to subscriber list
- Provide coverage of events, including meetings and other media opportunities
- Provide communications support for departmental and organizational tasks as required
- Proven work experience as a Content Writer, Copywriter or similar role
- Portfolio of published articles
- Experience doing research using multiple sources
- Familiarity with web publications
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English
- Hands-on experience with Content Management Systems (e.g. WordPress)
- Ability to meet deadlines
- BSc in Marketing, English, Journalism or related field
Please send applications and a letter of interest to email@example.com. Compensation commensurate with experience; benefits are competitive.
The National Organization on Disability provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.