Director of External Affairs
The National Organization on Disability (NOD) is the leading organization advancing employment opportunity for working-age Americans with disabilities. The organization does this by serving as a trusted advisor to major companies in adopting proven ways of employing people with disabilities, and amplifying impact through communications. NOD seeks a Director of External Affairs, who will be responsible for driving marketing, communications and development strategies to advance the NOD mission. This position, based at NOD’s New York City headquarters, reports to the President and serves as a member of the executive team, working with all departments and the Board of Directors to ensure the overall success of the organization.
At NOD, the work of marketing, communications, development and sales are highly interdependent. NOD engages major companies as clients and engages both companies and foundations as philanthropic supporters. NOD also works with other disability organizations in advocating for the collective agenda of changing the landscape for disability employment. NOD is consulted regularly by major media outlets, including CBS, TIME, US News & World Report, The Hill, USA Today, and Inc. Magazine, on topics relating to disability employment.
The Director leads a team that enables NOD to maintain and develop new relationships, and collaborates with colleagues to realize the full funding, impact and brand potential of each relationship. As a result of your work, leading employers will be attracted to NOD’s services and the broader community of funders, government agencies, other advocacy organizations and the media will view NOD as an innovator and a resource.
This position has three major responsibilities:
- Leading the creation of marketing and communications strategies and plans around our mission, brand and business goals;
- Driving engaging programming for our Corporate Leadership Council, a group of 50+ companies committed to disability inclusion; and
- Overseeing fundraising to support NOD’s innovation agenda.
The Director oversees a team of three staff members and several consultants
Marketing and Communications
- Lead all marketing and communication efforts, including plan development and implementation, message development, public relations, and the growth of NOD content marketing strategy and social media following
- Act as the ‘face’ of the organization with corporate and disability policy constituencies. Represent NOD to all external audiences and work in concert with the President and senior staff to develop and retain external relationships
- Maintain brand guidelines and oversee development and execution of annual marketing and communications calendars and social/digital media plans to significantly grow our following
- Oversee creation and launch of media and marketing campaigns, including NOD’s Disability Inclusion Compact, a new national campaign promoting awareness of people with disabilities as an untapped talent pool, in partnership with leading companies
- Develop and manage plans and budgets for marketing and communications activities and events
- Oversee presentation of and communications promoting NOD’s annual corporate recognition award
- Support production of speeches and presentations for President and senior staff
- Develop and enhance partnerships with professional associations, disability organizations and others to increase NOD’s visibility and participation
- Support the engagement and creation of communications for the NOD Board of Directors, including regularly programming and participating in meetings with Committees and individual Board members
- Identify and manage select opportunities for NOD to engage in disability employment policy advocacy
- Share in the objective to meet or exceed annual consulting revenue goals, including managing a suite of client/prospect relationships
Corporate Leadership Council Management
- Lead the creation of the annual Corporate Leadership Council Membership program, including planning and programming of virtual and in-person events throughout the year
- Partner with the COO to ensure Corporate Leadership Council annual revenue goals are met or exceeded
- Oversee the creation and implementation of an annual development plan to meet NOD’s fundraising goals from corporate, foundation and government sources
- Oversee Board giving
- Drive the growth of sponsorships
The ideal candidate will bring:
- Knowledge of and experience with corporate diversity and disability employment strategies
- A commitment to expanding the participation of people with disabilities in the workforce
- At least 10 years of experience in progressively responsible positions in marketing or communications
- Exceptional writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- Skills in building and maintaining high-level relationships and partnerships
- A track record of building integrated development, marketing, and communications strategies, including social and digital marketing
- Demonstrated ability to interact with corporate clients
- Demonstrated ability to manage sophisticated vendors of communications and marketing services
- A demonstrated understanding of how to build a membership organization (the Corporate Leadership Council) and energize its members to loyal participation
- A familiarity with the workings of a non-profit organization and an understanding of the dynamics of a Board-governed organization
- Experience leading and motivating staff, Board and outside organizations
- Experience juggling a large number of responsibilities with tight deadlines
National Organization on Disability has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno at firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Organization on Disability is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.